Tuesday 9 January 2007

That Tiscali Ad and BT

Would you shag a man because he recommended Tiscali to you? No, I don’t think you would.

Oh, and while we’re on the subject of adverts, the BT ones in particular piss me off. It’s so obvious that they want them to be seen as ‘classic’ adverts, ones that in ten years time will be discussed by Z-list celebrities in programs like “I Love Early 21st Century TV Adverts” on BBC3.

Well they won’t. Because they’re shit. Horrible insipid shit. I mean seriously, what’s the deal with the one where the kid’s biological dad comes into the picture, creating major awkwardness as ‘old’ dad and ‘new’ dad have some kind of bizarre face-off? You’re supposed to be advertising telecomms packages BT, not shoving some imaginary family’s emotional angst into my face.

What next, a BT ad where the kid slits his wrist in the bath? Wait a minute I’d actually like to see that one… For the wrist slitting obviously, not for the youngster in the bath. Just to make that clear.

And the one where they’re viewing the house is just as bad, although more telecomms focused. Family is unimpressed with house. Family discover house has a BT home-hub. Family buy house. Are the family morons? Do they not realise that they could set up telecomms package with BT at ANY house in the area? Well apparently they don’t.

Perhaps I’m just a bit of a freak, but the thought of some second-rate comedian gurning out of the screen in 2017, shrieking “Remember the BT family? Eh? EH?” frankly scares me a little bit. Oh well...

No comments: